Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Stimulus Plan

paym318.jpg


     I think we all know about, are waiting for, or have received our economic stimulus check from the federal government. Unfortunately for me I have to wait until the end of June for mine. I guess the last two numbers of one's social security are the deciding factors for when one gets the check. Anyway, a couple of months ago I had the opportunity to hear Jim Wallis speak at All Saints Church in Pasadena. He was on a book tour for his new book and mentioned briefly and idea for what people should do with the stimulus checks they will receive. Or more specifically what the church should do with the checks. The idea was without detail yet it was centered on each individual giving a large portion of the money they received to the church and the church giving that money to the poor. That was it. He didn't say anything else. And here I am waiting impatiently for my check because I have a list of purchases I would like to make. 

     Now I haven't been able to get this idea out of my head. Imagine the church coming together to do something with money given to them by the government for the poor. And I am trying to come up with ideas for what I can do with the money I will eventually receive. There must be a way to use the money to stimulate the economy through the giving to the poor. Now this would have to be the poor of our own country since it is our economy here that is in need of stimulation. What can the church do? What can individuals do who are not part of a church, but see this as an opportunity to give? 

     I would like to think that there are some progressive churches out there who have great ideas about what to do with this extra money being given to its members. I mean this is a tremendous chance for the church to be a witness to the world. A witness for how it treats the poor and oppressed in its own society and cities. 


Any ideas out there? 

1 comment:

WanderingellimaC said...

http://howwillyouspendyourcheck.com

OR

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=11400906858